This poor magnolia wreath has been through so much and it’s all my fault. He started out as a regular Magnolia wreath I purchased from Hobby Lobby years ago. He moved with us to the new house and was on my front door for a long time.
He has since taken on a few different personalities and has been taken apart multiple times thanks to my commitment issues. He was so cute as a Hobby Lobby magnolia wreath and I should have left him alone. But one day I had a crazy idea and I took my magnolia wreath apart (gasp!). My crazy idea was a complete flop and I was left with a bunch of magnolia stems and a grapevine wreath. I put my wreath back together again but it wasn’t the same and I didn’t glue the stems down as well as I should have on the wreath. We have crazy winds where we live and I’ve lost a few stems in the wind. My magnolia wreath was starting to look pathetic. I recently took this picture of our spring snow (insert eye roll) for Instagram and while most people might notice the cute dog, I noticed my pathetic looking wreath on my door.
I just couldn’t get him to look like how I wanted or back to what he originally looked like. And then I had ANOTHER crazy idea and took him apart AGAIN! You’d think I would have learned from my first mistake. I thought I could make a Eucalyptus wreath with dried eucalyptus from Hobby Lobby. And I made the wreath and he wasn’t half bad. He lasted on my front door for about one night.
(We’ll talk more about those flowers on that wreath another day, k?)
And then I realized I missed my magnolia wreath and had a ah-ha moment and realized I could pair the two greens together to make a fuller looking magnolia wreath. So I took the wreath apart (again!!!) and was left with a bunch of magnolia stems, dried eucalyptus and a grapevine wreath.
I didn’t take too many pictures of this process because at this point I was certain this wreath would be a complete flop and I was starting to lose hope on this wreath but it definitely was not a hard project. If your wreath will be exposed to rain I recommend using faux eucalyptus and not dried. My front porch is covered but I did notice the dried eucalyptus was bleeding in color a little.
(This post contains affiliate links)
- Magnolia leaves. I feel like these days magnolia leaves are everywhere. Hobby Lobby carries such realistic magnolia bunches.
- Grapevine Wreath.
- (You can skip items 1 and 2 and just purchase the Magnolia wreath from Hobby Lobby)
- Faux Eucalyptus (I’d recommend that you do NOT use dried eucalyptus if your wreath will be outside)
- Glue gun
Like I said, I did not take too many pictures but I alternated between magnolia bunch and dried eucalyptus bunch and shoving the stems in the grapevine wreath and using my glue gun where I think it was needed.
Some stems were pretty secure in the wreath and some I can tell would get blown away in the wind. Those I hot glued down. I went through and just made sure it was pretty even and full on all sides and that the eucalyptus was peaking out evenly.
And that was it. It was a pretty easy project. If you already own the magnolia wreath from Hobby Lobby, I do NOT recommend taking it apart but if you do just know that eucalyptus will save the day when you lose some magnolia stems to crazy wind. Or if you need to add a little something to a wreath you already own grab some eucalyptus.
If you want to save this for later, you can pin it here:
You might also like!